The archaeological excavations in the region showed that the region has been inhabited since the middle of the Stone Age (5 500 - 5 300 BC), a lot of different archaeological cultures, tribes, ethnic groups, peoples and states have developed in this part of south-east Europe for more than seven millennia. The results from these excavations come to explain a range of problems concerning the most ancient inhabitants during the Stone and Stone-copper ages (Neolithic and Eneolithic) as well as the cultures that existed in the later Bronze and Early Iron ages, the Thracian past and the period of Greece and Rome, the creation of the Bulgarian State in 681 AD and its further development into the First and Second Bulgarian Kingdom in the Middle Ages. These intensive and dramatic historical periods have left us a heritage of numerous archaeological traces: precious finds, unique architecture, burial constructions and cemeteries, sea ports, wrecks etc.
Bolata is an archaeological site with caves used as prehistoric dwellings and C5th BC low terrace settlement.On the northern side of the gorge there is a difficult path up to the plateau where there are archaeological remains. This is one of the most precious unspoiled steppe areas in Europe - 400 flora species, a lot of nesting and migrating birds and other animals. In spring and early summer (April, May) the steppe is covered with a carpet of multicolored flowers.
Yaylata offers a very rich flora and cliffs, which have been chosen by breeding colonies of birds. There are archaeological remains - a Byzantine fortress, caves and rock tombs. The site can be visited starting from April till November. But the flora in May is astonishing!
Cape Kaliakra is very rich in archaeological sites. There is an exciting sea view and sunsets. There is also a steppe area, covered in spring by different colored irises. There is a nice restaurant and a cave museum.
The Big Island in the Durankulak lake, which the archaeologists call "The Dobrudja Troy ", has been inhabited continuously from the middle of the 6th millennium BC till the end of the Fist Bulgarian Kingdom (1018 AD).
The cultural layer of the tell site is 3,5 m thick. Here, in the eight settlements accumulated one above the other and dating from the Neolithic and Eneolithic periods (5 500 - 4 100 BC), the remains of the oldest stone architecture in continental Europe were discovered. On the west bank of the lake other archaeological sites closely connected with the inhabitants of the island were also found.
The most important one is the prehistoric cemetery, now entirely investigated. It consists of 1204 graves and is the largest in the world. It is situated on the top of a low hill and has been used by the ancient population of the island from the second half of the Neolithic to the end of the Eneolithic (5 500 - 4 100 BC), without interruption, i.e. for more than a millennium and a half. The cemetery yielded rich and invaluable archaeological findings - the oldest golden jewelry ever found, etc.
There is also a temple of Kibela, the Thracian Goddess, Mother Nature (an inscription was found). It is a stone temple carved out of the natural stone. It looked as if it was roofed and apparently had a timber portico in front of it.
Near Shabla, at the small port, there is a pier and an old lighthouse - the oldest light house on the Black Sea. There are remains of a 4th Century Byzantine fort, 50 to 55 meters square, parts of which have been excavated and exposed. The fort was part of a port and most of the fort is now under the sea. The site has been excavated, and as the excavations were finished the work was covered up again.